Asher’s Chocolates is the oldest continuously family-owned confection company in the United States. It began in 1892, when Chester A. Asher opened a small candy shop in the heart of Philadelphia. In addition to candies, Chester and his staff of six also made jams, jellies, maple syrup, freshly baked cakes and ice creams. Beautiful European-style bonbons and rare candies were displayed in the window to tempt passersby. The Asher name quickly became associated with superb quality, and the store acquired larger space in the Philadelphia’s historic Germantown neighborhood.
When Chester’s son John died in 1966, the third generation of Asher's took the company’s helm. With the increased use of air-conditioning in stores, homes and automobiles, chocolates were becoming more popular as a year-round candy. Jack and Bob decided to expand their selection of chocolates and began producing sugar-free (what was then called “dietetic”) chocolates.
The brothers understood America’s changing tastes in candies and had a knack for business. Asher’s quickly grew. By the 1980s, Jack's and Bob’s sons, David and Jeff, continued the business into the fourth generation. They soon moved the company to Montgomeryville, Pennsylvania. When that space became too small, The Asher Familiy purchased 31 acres of farmland in Souderton, Pennsylvania. This is where Asher’s Chocolates are made today.
The family also purchased the former Goss Candies in Lewistown, PA. There, hand-made confections are created including Chocolate Smothered Potato Chips, moulds and buttery toffee.
From candy shop to chocolate factory, Asher’s has maintained a tradition of fine American chocolates. Asher’s Chocolates is currently under the direction of the fourth generation of Ashers: David Asher, President and CEO, and Jeff Asher, Vice President Sales and Marketing. Their fathers, Bob and Jack Asher, remain co-Chairmen of the Board.
Successfully added to cart
Item(s) was added to your cart!